While I did receive compensation for this post, I am a FlipSize customer, too! All opinions remain my own.
There are many things that I do because they are better for the environment, despite taking more effort. That’s basically the trade off for convenience products: they’re easier, but they’re harder on the earth. Some parents just can’t get past the extra time they have to invest in, for example, cloth diapering or composting, so they just smile and nod at me politely as I tuck my banana peel back into my bag along with a dirty cloth diaper.
I have great news.
Shopping and swapping your children’s clothing at FlipSize.ca is EASIER than the alternative AND better for the environment. Oh… it’s also cheaper. Cheaper is good.
What is FlipSize.ca?
FlipSize in an online second-hand children’s clothing store based in Maple Ridge, BC. Shop there as you would any online store: items are organized by gender, size and style. Shipping is free at $70, or $9.99 flat rate.
The prices are competitive with Once Upon a Child, and definitely lower than most consignment stores I’ve been to, and you do not have to leave your house. I repeat: you do not have to leave your house.
The sweet red dress in the title image was $3.99. This little polka dot number? A buck and a half!
On top of those sweet deals, I feel like the items I scored were free. Why? Because I flipped a stash of Cub’s old clothes before we left Montreal; stuff I would’ve likely just tossed in a donation bin otherwise for lack of time!
Got a closet full of barely-worn, way-too-small clothing? You can mail (at no cost) or drop off your children’s old clothes and be paid in cash, store credit or gift cards.
Before we moved from Montreal to Calgary, I sorted through all of Cub’s clothes, knowing we were having a little girl. I filled the mailing bag FlipSize sent me, and in no time, my account was credited. (There’s no waiting around for items to sell, as with traditional consignment stores.) I shopped from home in my pajamas (likely with Little Miss Cub on my boob), and I still have a bit of mad money left to spend!
Why I Iove shopping and flipping at FlipSize:
- I’m guaranteed to get items in good condition. (How many times have I only noticed a busted zipper or a hole once it’s too late when thrift shopping?!)
- Clothing is organized by size and style, so there’s not need to dig for what you need.
- Prices are competitive and fair, and in all honesty, I’m willing to pay a buck more if it means I don’t have to lug the kids out to the consignment store in the hopes they’ll have what we need.
- No appointment necessary when I’m ready to sell: I just fill a postage-paid bag and send my husband to mail it.
- Buying second hand is the pinnacle of ECO parenting: it’s economical and eco-friendly.
- Clothing that doesn’t meet their “no dud” standards but is still very wearable is being sent with a group travelling to Guatemala or donated to local charities.
FlipSize changed hands in October 2015, and is now run by a mother-and-daughters team in Maple Ridge, with pick up and drop off locations in Abbotsford, Coquitlam, Langley, Maple Ridge and Surrey. Karen, Andrea and Liz have maintained the awesome FlipSize formula, but added a couple new things you should know about!
- Loyalty points: When you flip your gently-used children’s clothes, you can choose to spend the points you earn on new-to-you clothing, or cash out. If you choose to spend your points, you will earn additional loyalty points! This is basically like earning cash back to spend on future purchases.
- Host a shopping party: Think your friends would love to shop at FlipSize? Host a shopping party and you will earn free items for yourself, plus a group discount of up to 20% off on all purchases made! (More info here.)
Shop & Connect
[wpdevart_like_box profile_id=”flipsizecanada” connections=”show” width=”300″ height=”175″ header=”small” cover_photo=”show” locale=”en_US”]