Love Actually is my family’s Christmas movie tradition. Watching it this year, I realized that it’ll be a good 10 or 15 years before my children will be watching this grown-up Christmas classic, and it’s already showing its age.
Since Cub tries to use all screens as touch screens and is bewildered by commercials and not being able to select an episode of TV when watching cable (at home we only use Netflix), I suspect in a decade’s time, Love Actually will seem like a real blast from the past!
10 Things My Children Will Not Understand About Love Actually
1. Why Jamie didn’t just use Google Translate to talk to Aurelia?
The Jamie and Aurelia story line is my favourite.
2. What is this large, black box in Kiera Knightley’s hands?
Keira Knightly’s wardrobe in this movie also screams 2003.
3. Where is the screen on Jamie’s laptop?
Given that in 2003 it was pretty darn retro to be writing a novel on a typewriter…
4. What is on this young boy’s head?
Hopefully whatever this style would be called doesn’t make a come back.
So many of the actors in this movie have gone on to play such different roles. Cub knows Liam Neeson as Good Cop, Bad Cop!
Hugh Grant’s face when his “copper” joins in his caroling is one of my favourite moments.
7. How did all these people Instagram their pictures of the Prime Minister making out on stage?
I’m confident most kids even today have never used a camera with a view finder.
8. Why is Sara’s cell phone so…. thick? (And what’s that weird noise it makes?)
Karl and Sara’s failure to launch is one of the saddest moments for me… but when Nanny McFee confronts Professor Snape at the Christmas concert is what breaks my heart most!
I appreciate Mark’s correct use of an apostrophe on his poster board, though!
But what’s definitely timeless is the fact that Bill Nighy is hysterical.