The BumGenius 4.0 is one of my favourite pocket diapers. It was all we sent with Cub to day care, and is a great option on Little Miss Cub since she hit about 10-12 lbs. I was definitely surprised when I heard that Cotton Babies was discontinuing the 4.0, and wondered what changes were in store for the next generation.
The BumGenius 5.0, like its predecessor, is a pocket diaper with a stay-dry microsuede inner that comes with two microfibre inserts.
The diaper features stretchy “butterfly” closure tabs, 3×3 rise snaps, and is described as fitting from 7-35 lbs. Here you can see it at its smallest and largest:
What changes have been made to the 5.0?
I’ll be honest: I wouldn’t have noticed any difference in the two 5.0s I received if it weren’t for different packaging.
The modifications are not particularly obvious to the naked eye. Cotton Babies describes them here. They are:
- Stretchier suede cloth inner fabric for a better fit.
- A redesigned pocket that is more trim across the back.
- “Proprietary elastic made exclusively for cloth diapers, which means it is more durable and will not break down as easily.”
Of course, the elastic can only be evaluated over time, but I can tell you that I do not notice much extra stretch nor trimness. Here are some comparison shots (note that in the photos, the 5.0s are the red (Pepper) and the coral (Kiss):
Things I love about the BumGenius 5.0:
- I’m crazy about those stretchy wing tabs, the make for a great fit at the waist;
- Pocket opening at the back;
- Strip of PUL at the inside front waist to protect against wicking;
- Stay-dry microsuede (though I’m not noticing much of a difference between the 5.0’s lining and the 4.0);
- Made in the USA;
- Roomy and easy-to-stuff pocket that is compatible with pretty much any insert;
- Dual row of waist snaps means you can stagger the snaps tighter at the hips and looser at the waist, or vice versa;
- I find that the BumGenius design (4.0 and 5.0) is just a great, almost universally functional and well-fitting pocket diaper.
Things I love less about the BumGenius 5.0:
- I was hoping to see a natural fibre insert included with the 5.0, perhaps in combination with microfibre. On Cub, I always preferred using an Öko Creations hemp trifold with the BumGenius booster on top.
Is the 5.0 better than the 4.0?
There’s nothing about the 5.0 that makes me love it any more or less than the 4.0. At this point, I’d recommend snapping up the discounted 4.0s if you’re a big BumGenius fan or looking to try them! The improved elastics will need to be tested over time. I have personally not had any issues with the elastics in our 4.0s, many of which have seen a lot of wear and tear and dryer time. I have, however, heard from other Moms who have experienced issues.
[wpdevart_like_box profile_id=”lechatonvert” connections=”show” width=”300″ height=”175″ header=”small” cover_photo=”show” locale=”en_US”]
Boutique Le Chaton Vert is a Canadian retailer with BumGenius 5.0s in stock (and discounted 4.0s). Check them out for awesome (bilingual) service!
Are you a big BumGenius fan?