I received these items at no cost to facilitate my review. All opinions remain my own.
A lot of new cloth diaper prints come across my newsfeed. A lot. Many of them don’t get more than a passing glance… but Nuggles’ “Toucan I Am” print caught my eye. In a sea of nautical prints, here’s something totally different, totally tropical, totally irresistible! I confess that it was the print that inspired me to approach Nuggles for a review…
We received the one-size Simplee diaper, marketed as a “3-in-1” option, usable as a pocket, AIO or AI2 diaper, and the size small Tuck-Wrap-Go cover (6-20 lbs) and a SIze 1 Nuggles Naturals Bamboo Terry Prefold Insert.
I was completely unfamiliar with the features of the Simplee, so let’s start there!
The Simplee is designed to fit from about 8-40 lbs. Little Miss Cub was about 11 lbs when we received the diaper, but here’s a look at it snapped down to its smallest:
And at its largest:
The inserts snap together and snap into the front of the shell.
The TPU gusset creates a nice “seal” around baby’s legs, and there is no risk of wicking from the inner bamboo terry. The fit of the diaper is definitely a bit different than what we’re used to because of the leg gusset:
However, I’m not about to object to extra leak and blowout protection. The only concern I would raise is if a child is sensitive or allergic to PUL. Some babies do get a rash from diapers that have exposed PUL or TPU. (Not Little Miss Cub, so far, but Big Brother Cub seems to be mildly sensitive to it.)
We received an additional Nuggles booster that features fleece on one side, and this creates a stay-dry layer if desired. I put that on top of the Simplee, with both inserts in the pocket, and we made it a 10-11 hour night with no leaks!
Cub is potty training, so I had him in the Simplee simply as a test of fit. It totally fits, and the rise is high enough for him, unlike other one-size options!
- No wicking at the leg thanks to the leg gusset;
- Super generous sizing on Cub, so no doubt it will fit even bigger children (he’s 35 lbs);
- Strip of TPU at the front inner waist to prevent wicking and waist leaks;
- Inserts snap together for easy stuffing;
- Pocket opening at front and back also helps with stuffing;
- Crossover snaps for newborns.
What I love less about the Simplee:
- My only observation is that you can’t really use it as an AI2 (just swapping out the soiled insert that is placed on top of the pocket)… the entire diaper gets wet, so you have to throw the whole thing in the wash. This diaper works best as a pocket/AIO.
The Tuck-Wrap-Go cover comes in two sizes. We tested a Size 2 on Cub, in fact!
The overnight insert is thick and thirsty:Folded for Little Miss, I get four layers of absorbency. At 12 lbs, she is already on the second-to-last waist snaps and tallest rise:I’m not totally convinced we will make it to 20 lbs, but we shall see! Like the Simplee, the leg gusset hugs her thighs nicely: What I love about the Size 1 Tuck-Wrap-Go Cover & Overnight Insert:
- The overnight insert has been getting us through the night (about 10 hours) without leaks!
- Double leg gusset provides an awesome “seal” at the legs;
- Waist is soft and doesn’t dig into baby’s belly;
- Inner flaps keep a trifolded insert in place, and make the cover compatible with a wide range of inserts.
What I love less about the Size 1 Tuck-Wrap-Go Cover & Overnight Insert:
- The wings on the cover seem short to me, so I’m not totally sure we will be able to use it up until 20 lbs.
Shop & Connect:
[wpdevart_like_box profile_id=”NugglesModernClothDiapers” connections=”show” width=”300″ height=”175″ header=”small” cover_photo=”show” locale=”en_US”]