I received this item free for review. All opinions remain my own.
Our Urban Bums Boutique (UBB) newborn hybrid fitted was the first newborn diaper we received, long before my third trimester, at a time when having a bum tiny enough to wear the creation seemed too good to be true.
Of all of our WAHM-made fitteds, our UBB stands out as our most exquisite. In fact, UBB diapers are almost immediately recognizable for their beauty: stunning fabric choices and exceptional crafts(wo)manship.
Here’s a look at the specs for a UBB Newborn Hybrid Fitted:
And a peek inside:
The first time wearing our UBB, Little Miss Cub was just two or three days old, so we took advantage of the umbilical cord snap down:
She would have been just shy of 7 lbs here, and I thought the fit was perfect. In terms of performace, I tend to grab our UBB for longer stretches because it is so absorbent. For the first few weeks, she would wear it at night time for up to six hours. She is no longer waking fully at night: I’m able to nurse her as soon as she stirs and she stays asleep. As such, I try to avoid disturbing her with a diaper change. With a booster (my favourite being the booster that comes with our TotsBots V4 diapers), this diaper can last all night under a snug cover. As this diaper is a bit bulkier than other fitteds in our stash, I find the best cover to go on top is our TotsBots Stretchy Wrap (size 1) or wool. Most recently, she wore it under our Tots cover from 9:30 pm until 6:30 AM without any leaks.
In this picture, somewhere between 8 and 9 lbs (my best guess), she’s obviously snapped much looser at the waist:
Snapping one side a notch tighter got us the right fit at the waist. Now she’s wearing it on the loosest setting that still uses the hip snap. If we are wearing it up til the suggested weight limit of 12 lbs, it will have to be with the hip snap exposed. If that irritates her, I happen to have some snap covers in my stash!
My favourite things about our UBB Newborn Hybrid Fitted:
- Obviously high-quality finishing (even someone like me, who can barely thread a needle, notices how well this diaper is constructed);
- Layers of the insert are not sewn together, meaning a faster dry time;
- Umbilical snap down allowed a perfect fit right from birth;
- Bamboo velour against the skin gives a slight stay-dry effect;
- Even without boosting, it provides plenty of absorbency for big newborn pees.
Things I like less about our UBB Newborn Hybrid Fitted:
- It’s a bit wider at the crotch than other newborn styles in our stash, so bulkier under a cover;
- To reach the highest suggested weight, we will need to leave the hip snaps exposed. (This isn’t unusual, by the way.)
Shop & Connect: