I received this item at no cost to facilitate my review. All opinions remain my own.
Like Justin Trudeau, I love my hemp. (It’s okay if you’re American and you don’t get my joke… replace it with something about Colorado.) Cheeky The Cloth Diaper Co., based in Edmonton, Alberta, makes all-in-one diapers lined with a thirsty and natural hemp-cotton blend.
While their one-size model was a bit too small for Cub when we tested it this summer, the newborn model was a bit too big for his sister at birth.
The main issue in the case of Cheeky’s design is that its single row of snaps doesn’t allow me to get a nice, tight fit around her legs. No matter how much I tugged up the wings, there was still a gap.
Cheeky’s design has a “tongue style,” hourglass insert sewn in at the front of the diaper:
As Little Miss chubbed out, the fit did improve a bit:
In terms of absorbency, like the vast majority of our newborn all-in-ones, a booster was necessary by about 9-10 lbs. Unfortunately, the sheer trimness of the diaper’s shell means a booster that’s got any heft to it seems to cause a gap at the leg.
Now at 12 lbs, which is the upper weight limit on this diaper, I’m still not totally satisfied with the fit around the leg.
Things we like about our Cheeky The Cloth Diaper Co. Newborn AIO:
- Made in Canada from natural fibers;
- AIO with “tongue style” insert for faster dry time and easier laundering;
- Umbilical snap down for newbies;
Things we like less about our Cheeky The Cloth Diaper Co. Newborn AIO:
- Lack of elastic at the waist (front or back) means less effective at containing blowouts;
- Lack of a second row of waist snaps makes it hard to tighten around the leg without going too tight at the tummy (at least on Little Miss);
- Trimness of the shell means a thicker booster doesn’t fit and causes a leg gap.
If I could, I’d test all our newborn diapers on all sizes of baby, but I’m limited to my 50th percentile baby girl. I have a feeling that Cheeky The Cloth Diaper Co.’s design would be lovely on a rolly-polly pudge pot baby: more slack at the legs and no tummy or waist elastic to dig into chub.
Love the hemp, love the quality, love the Canadian manufacturing… just need a chubbier baby to truly rock it!
Shop & Connect
Shop for Cheeky products online.