I received this product free for review. All opinions remain my own.
Freshly arrived in Alberta, I received my first made-in-Alberta cloth diaper to review! Cheeky Cloth Diaper Co. is run by sisters Jessamie and Abbey, based out of Edmonton. Their diapers are 100% North American-made, and they prioritize “an awareness of [their] carbon foot print, a focus on sweatshop free labor, and supporting labor and the economy here in North America.” Definitely a mission I can get behind!
The one-size diaper has a pocket, but generally you’ll want to snap your insert on top to avoid having to unstuff. The pocket is handy for adding an extra booster for longer stretches or heavy wetters.
The interior and the insert is made of a hemp/cotton blend, which, if you are keeping track, happens to be my favourite absorbent material for cloth diapers and the most “stay dry” of the natural fibers I’ve tried. The insert snaps to the diaper underneath the top flap.
The top of the diaper waist is curved for a comfy tummy fit. The wing closures have a cross-over snap. The gusset is extremely narrow, and the rise is particularly low.
As you can see, the Cheeky Cloth Diaper Co. design is at least an inch shorter than a Funky Fluff:
Very petite babies will benefit from the Cheeky Cloth Diaper Co. design, especially if other one-size diapers are above their belly buttons and uncomfortable for them when sitting.
Cub is probably about 35 lbs, which is the maximum suggested weight for this diaper. Our Cheeky Cloth Diaper Co. diaper is definitely the “bikini cut” of our stash!
Because hemp is so absorbent, the inserts can be much trimmer than micofiber with the same amount of absorbency.
Things I love about our Cheeky Cloth Diaper Co. Diaper:
- Trim fit;
- North American made;
- Nice and narrow between the legs;
- Crossover snaps for a great fit on newbies;
- Hemp/cotton blend inner and insert: the most absorbent, most stay-dry natural fiber option;
- Double row of waist snaps to allow you to stagger the top and bottom snaps as needed (tighter at the thigh and looser at the waist, for example).
Things I love less about our Cheeky Cloth Diaper Co. Diaper:
- While ideal for smaller babies, my son, who is in the 90th percentile, is really too big to fit well in this diaper due to the short rise;
- Perhaps because he’s at the weight limit, the top of the diaper can at times fold over, causing moisture to wick onto pants;
- A lack of back elastic has me a bit worried about blow outs during the newborn phase;
- The price point is high for a diaper that, in our case, wouldn’t last until potty learning. However, the price of $32.50 does reflect the quality of the organic fibers and the fact that it is entirely made in Canada with North American materials. (As a point of comparison, a Rumparooz, which is made entirely in China with synthetic materials will cost you $26.95, and Bummis, which are also made in Canada with North American materials, sells their Dimple Diaper for $32.95 and it requires a cover.);
- While I like that the shell has a pocket, I would prefer that the opening be at the back of the diaper, because if you want to pull out your added booster or insert, you have to touch a lot of pee.
Shop & Connect:
Get to know the Cheeky Cloth Diaper Co. on their Facebook page.