This quinoa salad is my standard contribution to potluck lunches and dinners. It’s a salad that eats like a meal, so if the other potluck fare is not vegetarian, at least I know I’ll find sustenance in my own offerings! It keeps for a couple of days, and is perfect for packed lunches.
If you want to increase the nutritional punch, you can add diced avocado (I wouldn’t add it directly to the salad unless you’re going to eat it all right away). To give it more crunch, throw in diced cucumber!
Cub will eat this salad sometimes. But, besides fries, pretty much everything I make is hit or miss! This recipe is one of husband’s absolute favourites!
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 tin of chickpeas (or equivalent in dried, soaked chickpeas)
- 1 tomato diced, or equivalent in cherry tomatoes
- 2 tbsp dried or fresh parsley
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp lemon or lime juice
- Handful of crumbled feta cheese
- Optional: diced cucumber or avocado.
- Cook one cup of quinoa in two cups of water or as per package directions. Let cool. Assemble the salad by mixing the quinoa, chickpeas, tomatoes, seasonings, oil, lemon juice and crumbled feta.