Aussi disponible en / Also available in: français
This post is a translation of a French post written for Maman Loup’s Den by Judith, blogger at Notre basse-cour.
Lindsay’s note: As a blogger, I received my glorious Noah’s Ark print EBB for review without going to the crazy lengths that EBB die-hard fans must go to to get their hands on Sam’s limited-edition creations. I didn’t know the first thing about how to shop with EBB, so I asked one such fan, Judith, to write up a “how to” post. Hopefully this will help you score your own EBB!
How to Score an Ella Bella Bum
During Stockings (aka: “Stalkings”)
EBB puts their diapers on sale on their website at least once per week, generally on Thursdays at noon EST. Bonus stockings or time changes are listed on the company’s Facebook page. During a stocking, the diapers (and other products) are usually sold out within minutes, so you have to be ready:
Here’s how to get your hands on an EBB during a stocking:
- Create an account on EBB’s website (you can create your account using this link which is Judith’s affiliate link) and fill in the required information.
- Create a PayPal account (if you don’t already have one) and link it to your credit card or your bank account.
- Watch for stocking announcements on EBB’s Facebook page. A Thursday stocking preview is put online on Wednesday evening or Thursday morning. This lets you window shop so you know what you’re going for in advance of the stocking.
- (10 minutes before the announced stocking time) Go to EBB‘s page and log in. Click over to “New Items” on the left menu.
- (2 minutes before the stocking) Refresh the page regularly until you see the new items up for sale.
(Now, prepare for the adrenaline rush.)
- Find your favourite diaper and click on the photo.
- At the bottom of the page, click “Add to cart” to put it in your shopping cart. The diaper is not yours until you have completed payment. You must proceed quickly to the next step. This is why I don’t recommend trying to get more than one diaper on your first try.
- Check the terms and conditions box under the contents of your shopping cart and click “Checkout.” If, at this point, you get a message citing an “inventory issue,” don’t panic. Click to “Return to store” and add a different item to your cart and checkout. Your first item may have been freed up in the meantime. If you only have your eye on that one item, you can try going “back” to your shopping cart and checking out several more times. It’s possible that the item will become available again and another shopper updates their shopping cart.
- On the following page, your billing and shipping details should already be filled in. Click “Continue to next step.”
- Apply any coupon codes or gift cards you may have and select the delivery method (either Lettermail, in an envelope without tracking or insurance and at your own risk, or Expedited, in an insured and tracked packet). Select Paypal to pay and “Complete my purchase.”
- Complete your payment using your PayPal account. Bravo! You scored an EBB!
- (Optional) If there’s another diaper on your wishlist, you might still be able to scdore it. Return to “New Items” and try again!
If you were able to purchase several “In Stock” items separately during the same stocking, you can fill out this form to combine your purchases into one package. This way you can take advantage of free shipping if your purchases total $75 or more before taxes, or receive a partial reimbursement for your delivery costs.
Note that you can never combine the purchase/shipping of In Stock items with items that are on Pre-Order or Custom.
CMGs (Custom Mini Groups)
EBB Custom Mini Groups (CMGs) allow customers to design a wraparound style diaper and have it produced by the EBB team. To take part in an EBB CMG, you must first request to joing their Facebook group, Custom Mini Groups, and accept the group rules. The rules are very thorough and explain how to participate in or lead a CMG.
Here is the process for creating a CMG to produce a limited number (3-8) diapers by EBB:
- The Group Leader chooses the print that she wants to see transformed into a wraparound diaper and creates a thread on the EBB CMG Facebook wall to gauge interest (GI). This thread must show a picture of the desired print, a link to its soruce, the details of the desired diaper (PUL colour, interior AWJ colour, snap colour [choices here], submission date and estimated production cost). The colour choices and submission date can be up for discussion until a consensus is reached among those participating.
- If you want to participate in a CMG, you must first comment on the GI (gauging interest) thread saying “Commited,” along with the name you use for your EBB account, which you will have already created on their site. Once you have committed, you are required to purchase the diaper that will eventually be created, or to find someone else to take your place, or risk being kicked out the the EBBCMG group.
- When the CMG is complete or on its way to being complete, the group leader will create an Official Thread (OT) in the photo album designated for this purpose. All pertinent information must be included: fabric source, number of spots available, PUL colour, AWJ colour, snap colour if a consensus has been reached, price estimate, group members and wait list members. If there’s space left in a group in the OT album, you can join by commenting “Committed” with your name. Otherwise, you can ask to be put on the waitlist.
- Every Monday morning, an event is created by the EBBCMG group. The event contains a link for submitting the CMGs. On the agreed-upon date, the CMG leader fills out the submission form so that their group will be included in the draw which will take place the following day. The submission form is available for about 24 hours.
- Every Tuesday, around 12:30 EST, a group administer randomly draws the CMGs that will enter into production. The results are listed directly on the event page. An album for the chosen CMGs will then be created in the EBBCMG group. Each photo will include a checkout link allowing CMG members to complete payment and select the snap colours (if there was no consensus). You have 24 hours to complete payment.
- Once you’ve completed your purchase, you must comment “Paid” on your corresponding CMG image. You have now completed your CMG commitment. You’ll also receive notifications for the thread concerning your CMG and get to see a preview of your diaper once it is produced.
Here are a few other important details about CMGs:
-You cannot participate in more than 5 CMGs submitted the same week. You can participate in more than 5 if they are not all submitted the same week.
-Each CMG is submitted a maximum of 4 times. After the 4th submission, the CMG is automatically put into production (but the group leader must still completed the submission form).
-Spoonflower.com is a huge source of prints. However, the prints selected from this site must be submitted for approval by EBB before the GI thread is created. Furthermore, the only fabric from Spoonflower that is accepted for wraparounds is the PK (performance knit).
-The price of a CMG for one diaper is established as follows: subtotal = price of fabric + cost of shipping to EBB + conversion from US to CA if applicable +$2 (fabric prep). This subtotal is divided by the number of group members and the result is aded to the base price of $28. If all group members have agreed on a snap colour, they will receive a $2 rebate per diaper. If the chosen PUL is part of the CMG exclusive selection, a $4.50 supplement is added to the price of each diaper.
-1 yard of fabric can create 8 wraparound diapers if the print placement is not important, If the print placement is critical (ie: one element needs to be centered), the fabric must be submitted to EBB to evaluate how many diapers can be made.
-Besides wraparound diapers, you can also create CMGs for Bum Pants and Bandana Bibs.
– When a CMG is drawn, you can expect to wait 6 weeks before the finished product is shipped. To get a CMG for a special event, make sure it is submitted at least 3 months in advance (up to 4 weeks for the submission and 6 weeks of production plus 2 weeks for delivery).
Less Stressful Ways to Score an EBB
Sometimes, EBB will list a batch of solid-PUL diapers called Ella’ssentials. They sell out less quickly than stockings, and there are often a few to be found in the available inventoryh.
EBB offers several custom diaper designs in the Design Your Own section of their site. You can get an Ella’ssential, a “Scrappy” or an embroidered diaper (from the available choices) that is totally personalized.
There is an official EBB Buy/Sell/Trade group that you can join to sell and swap between individuals. The resale value of EBBs in good condition is very high!
Note: EBBs are pocket diapers and are sold without inserts. You can use your own inserts or purchase EBB inserts and boosters.