Buttons Cloth Diapers are an affordable AI2 diaper system for the cloth diapering minimalist. This system, designed by a Washington-based husband and wife team consists of a PUL one-size cover and snap-in inserts.
I’m a big fan of AI2 systems that have a wipeable inner (rather than fleece or other fabric) because they are truly reusable through multiple changes. The Buttons cover can be used as a cover with any type of insert, but the snap-in Buttons inserts make for the most user-friendly option, essentially allowing the diaper to function as an all-in-one if you so desire.
The inserts come in sizes small and large, day-time options and nighttime options. I tested the large insert on my big boy, and found absorption to be plenty. The insert is microfibre topped with stay-dry fleece.
- Price point: There’s no denying it- Buttons covers and inserts are significantly cheaper than similar systems on the market.
- Wipeable inner: Truly reusable for multiple diaper changes!
- Double gusset: Leaks are unlikely around the legs with double gussets.
- Versatile stay-dry insert: The insert works with lots of different covers in my collection.
- Made overseas: Part of the reason for the low price point is that the diapers are made overseas.
- A bit small for my toddler: As I discussed in my post about reading cloth diaper reviews, just because the fit isn’t ideal on my boy doesn’t mean it’s not suitable for yours. He’s 28 lbs and I am just able to secure the diaper on the last waist snaps, but the rise is quite low. I need to pull hard on the wings to get the diaper up high enough on him before I snap it, but even so, he gets a bit of a plumber’s crack. If your child is more on the average-side of the growth chart, fear not, Buttons will fit!
- No natural fibre insert option: If you know me, you know I love hemp. I like a system with a choice of insert-fibres!
Buttons Diapers are very similar in design to Best Bottoms. My Buttons inserts fit in my Best Bottoms shells, but Best Bottoms have a longer rise with an additional set of rise snaps, and a middle-sized insert option.