You might have noticed that I love to review products. I especially love to review products that I stumble up on by pure chance! In the case of Happy Dough Aromatherapy Play Dough, it was a Christmas gift for Cub from his Great Auntie Kiki in Vancouver.
Cub had never tried any kind of play dough before, so I didn’t know what he would think of Happy Dough. He is 1.5 years old, so he’s an under-aged user of this product… but like most children’s toys, manufacturers err on the side of caution when setting an age minimum. Naturally, he plays with it under full supervision!
Scented with essential oils: The first thing I noticed when we opened our Happy Dough is that the dough smells amazing. I hate artificial fragrance, or even super strong natural fragrances, but Happy Dough is just the right amount of scented. I learned from Brian at Loot Trading about the 4 different scents in our tub:
Alright, so, Happy Dough smells amazing. What else makes it different than your run-of-the-mill play dough in most toy stores?
– Beeswax gives it a silky smooth texture and it doesn’t stick to your fingers or leave a yucky coating;
– Calendula oil and cocoa butter moisturize as you play (seriously, my chapped hands feel great after a round of Happy Dough-ing);
– It’s 100% natural: no parabens or toxins;
– It lasts longer than regular dough when appropriately stored (average of between 4-6 months, I’ll report back on how long ours lasts!);
– This product supports social enterprise in Cape Town’s impoverished black communities: 1% of revenue goes towards social upliftment projects in the area and the factory is a Black Economic Empowerment business that supports “the financial independence of black South Africans that still suffer from Apartheid’s legacy.” (Bryan Krafchik, LOOT Trading founder)
Things I learned about Happy Dough…
– It was first designed as a communication tool for engaging Cape Town children with autism and ADHD in its “full strength,” therapeutic version;
– The majority of Happy Dough customers are actually adults. They will be launching dough for adults with full-strength aromatherapy blends this summer. There will be dough for general stress relief (like stress balls!) and a version meant for arthritis sufferers and one for people with Parkinsons.
– Two new colours/scents are being launched in March: orange (tropical fruit oils) and purple (rosemary/vanilla).
– My toddler LOVES it. He asks to play with it at least three times a day!
Once I decided I wanted to blog about Happy Dough, I contacted Bryan at LOOT Trading to find out more about the product and see if he might want to give away some Happy Dough to my lovely readers. Happy Dough is currently only distributed in Vancouver, and they plan on expanding out east later in 2014.
Happy Dough is currently sold in Vancouver area at: Granville Island Toys, Kaboodles, Science World, Beansprouts, Little Earth, Dandelion Kids, Cotton n Crayons (Crescent Beach), The Main Street Honey Shoppe, One Small Room (Squamish), Just Ducky (Maple Ridge) and African Breese.
In Montreal, QC, the first retailer to carry Happy Dough (thanks to yours truly) is my favourite cloth diapering haunt, Boutique Bummis!
Bryan is offering up TWO super Happy Dough prizees in my 5000 Likes Bloggiversary!