Have you heard of the Great Cloth Diaper Change (GCDC)? If you have, then you know all about it and should be finding the location nearest you. If you haven’t, read on so I can explain to you why you should definitely participate.
Last year was the first GCDC for Cub and I, and in Montréal it is traditionally and generously hosted by Boutique Bummis on St-Laurent. It wasn’t just a “diaper and dash” kinda thing: there was live music, snacks, gift bags and raffle prizes. (I got amazing swag in my gift bag thanks to super sponsors, and I also won a Moa Poa carrier cover.)
Since starting in 2011, this record-setting, awareness-raising, fluff-tastic event has gone from setting the first Guinness World Record for 5026 bums changed into cloth in 2011 to 8301 at last year’s event. The event takes place worldwide! Last year, 105 fluffy butts were changed in Montreal.
This year, I’m not just participating; I’m also a volunteer organizer, working hand-in-hand with Boutique Bummis to get sponsors for prizes and swag bags and to promote the event in local media. (Sneak peak: Happy Dough, Double Maman and Flipsize have all signed on as sponsors.)
Info on how the event will take place this year in Montreal:
When: Saturday, April 26th, 2014 / Doors open at 10 AM, diapers are changed at 11 AM
Where: Check in at Boutique Bummis, 4302 St-Laurent, Montreal, H2W 1Z3 (the event takes place upstairs at Air de Tango.)
How: You can sign up in advance or simply show up on the morning of the event and register on-site. Swag bags will be distributed on a first come, first serve basis.
Good to know:
- There will be limited stroller parking and the event takes place up a flight of stairs; wear baby if possible!
- Bring a change pad or blanket to use for the change;
- We are accepting donations of pre-loved cloth diapers on behalf of Cloth for a Cause. Your donation will earn you extra raffle tickets!
To participate you must:
- be 18 or over,
- have a baby under 39” tall, and
- bring a commercially-available 100% reusable cloth diaper (or borrow one) to change into at the event.
- If you have more than one baby that qualifies for the change, you’ll need to bring an extra adult for each baby (or borrow one).
Are you participating in the GCDC this year?