I have enough supplies for four overnight diapers. I usually wash every 2.5 days, but having 4 sets means I have enough for weekend trips or for nights when I have to change him partway through.
Instead of using fitteds or a jam-packed pocket diaper overnight, I’ve found a combo of inserts that I sandwich together to make our perfect overnight solution:
Recipe: (all “ingredients” are available at Lagoon Baby [affiliate link])
1 x AMP 3 ply hemp booster
1 x Flip Overnight Insert
1 x GroVia Organic Cotton booster
1 x PUL cover that gives you the best fit
(You can also top it all off with a fleece liner for a stay-dry effect and/or protection from diaper cream.)
Lay the GroVia booster (or any other slim booster) in the middle of the Flip insert. Fold the Flip insert in three and top with the AMP booster. Lay your insert sandwich in a PUL cover that fits your baby well, and doesn’t gape at the legs, even with all the bulk. I have used these inserts in Best Bottoms, Bummis Simply Lite, AppleCheeks and my Little Bottoms covers.
Why is this so great?
1) The wetness isn’t spread all over the diaper as with a fitted. Cub’s bum cheeks and hips are still dry in the morning.
2) Because all the layers of absorbent fabric are separate, they launder better since the detergent and water has more surface area to penetrate and not as many layers to pass through.
3) You can customize your insert sandwich with what you have on hand. Need a stay-dry layer? Top it off with a fleece liner. Don’t have any boosters? Wrap a hemp trifold around your Flip insert. (The Flip insert is the only one I’ve tried, I’m sure other thick cotton inserts would do the trick!)
4) PUL covers are wash and wear, as opposed to wool which is more maintenance.
5) This is a much trimmer system than most fitted diapers plus a cover. Cub can now wear one-piece pjs again! If you check out my Bummis Simply Lite review, you’ll see how trim this is on my Cub!
I rinse my inserts out overnight and this helps with my wash routine in my HE washer, which just doesn’t use enough water to rinse all that pee away (yes, even with a mainstream detergent). An overnight diaper contains 12 hours worth of pee: that’s a lot!
All of the items you need to build your overnight solution are available at Lagoon Baby, or check your favourite swap pages to see if you can snag a sweet deal!
What’s your favourite overnight option?